THE SNOWY SCHEME IMPACT
The Snowy Mountains Hydro Electric Scheme changed forever the landscape of the mountains around Kiandra. It took 25 years to build and is one of the largest and most complex integrated water and hydro-electric power schemes in operation in the world.
Construction on the scheme, which began in 1949 and was completed in 1974, had a dramatic impact on the environment in the mountains and surrounding districts. Roads were cut though previously inaccessible terrain and dams constructed on all the major rivers.
The creation of Lake Eucumbene in 1958 flooded Euecumbene Station and Chalker’s Adaminimi Station. The buildings from the Adaminiby village which had grown up in the vicinity of Chalker’s Station were moved north to a new Adaminiby township site on the relocated Snowy Mountains Highway.
The new alignment of the Snowy Mountains Highway has diverted the Cooma to Kiandra road away from Denison and Russell’s Station. It no longer crosses the river at the old Denison Bridge. Much of Russell’s Station was flooded by Lake Eucumbene and the station buildings have all been removed.
During the early construction period of the scheme a tent camp was established at Three Mile Dam. Later, material for the scheme's dams and concrete was mined from the Kiandra area, including from New Chum Hill.
The following links provide more detailed information on the scheme and its history.
Link:The Snowy Mountain Scheme: 50th Anniversary
Link:Fact Sheet: Murray Darling Basin Commission
Link: Map of the Snowy Region (from Snowy Hydro)